This Close to Okay Review



This Close to Okay 

By: Leesa Cross-Smith 

Released: February 2nd, 2021

Pages: 320

My Rating: 4/5


Goodreads Synopsis: 
On a rainy October night in Kentucky, recently divorced therapist Tallie Clark is on her way home when she spots a man precariously standing on the edge of a bridge. Without a second thought, Tallie pulls over and jumps out of the car into the pouring rain. She convinces the man to join her for a cup of coffee, and he eventually agrees to come back to her house, where he finally, reluctantly, shares his first name: Emmett.

Over the course of the emotionally-charged weekend that follows, Tallie makes it her mission to provide a safe and comfortable space for Emmett, although she doesn't confess that she works as a therapist. However, Emmett is not the only one who needs help—and he has secrets of his own.

Alternating between Tallie and Emmett's perspectives as they inch closer to the truth of what brought Emmett to the bridge, This Close to Okay is an uplifting, powerful story of two strangers brought together by wild chance at the moment they need it the most. 


My Review:
Where to even begin with this one! This was my first read of 2021 and what a great way to ring in the new year. I was hooked within the first 15 pages and did not want to put this one down. 

If I'm being honest, I've been struggling a lot with anxiety and depression lately and have just been feeling hopeless with the state of the world (2020, am I right?!). I've been working on myself more than ever before so when I read this synopsis on Book of the Month, it spoke to me and I knew I immediately had to add it to my monthly picks. 

This Close to Okay follows Tallie Clark, a therapist, who stops a man, Emmett, from jumping off of a bridge while on her way home from work. This first act of kindness really struck me because it's so easy to fall under the "there's no good guys out there anymore" troupe. I mean how many people do you know would stop a complete stranger from jumping off a bridge and take them in to make sure they were okay? Tallie not only stop Emmett from jumping but proceeds to take him out for coffee to cool off and then takes him in for the weekend to make sure he is stable and okay. She emits kindness and a humanity I wish we saw more of in the world. 

Tallie and Emmett talk about hard things with each other and share things with one another that they have not shared with many other people. They work on themselves by talking to one another and working out things they may have not put a lot of thought to before. However, they both have their share of secrets too. When I learned of the secrets they are keeping I found myself working out all the scenarios that could make it all go wrong in my head. They made me feel nervous and contemplating how I would react in a similar situation. I grew very connected to both characters and did not want anything to go wrong. Do these secrets break them? You'll have to read to find out!

Reading this book was like getting a warm hug I did not know I could get from a book. I felt comforted and validated in my feelings and like I was not alone. I know this is "just a book" but it was a joy to read gave me more hope for not only myself but humanity. If we all can channel a little bit of both Tallie and Emmett in our day to day lives I think the world would be a much better place.

Catch you later, 
Molly 

Comments

Post a Comment

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove it)

Name

Email *

Message *

Latest on Instagram

Latest on Pinterest