Wedding Planning: Episode I


When I thought about wedding planning, I thought it would be the happiest time of my life. However, little did I know it is also the most stressful time of my life. Up until a month ago, I wasn’t doing much planning at all. Instead, I was just hoping everything would work itself out (I know, I know, things don’t work that way, but a girl can dream, right?). After realizing that I wasn’t blessed with a fairy godmother to do everything for me, I decided to buckle down and just jump right into the planning.
Being the anxious person I am, I just want to get things done early and know that it’s all good to go. Otherwise, I will dwell on everything that has yet to be done, throwing myself into a downward spiral. So, even though our wedding date isn’t until October 2018, I’m trying to get as much done now as possible.
Surprisingly, I’m actually doing pretty well so far. I already have our venue, officiant and photographer locked down. I also started buying things here and there to make centerpieces and decorations (I would say 75-percent of the wedding is DIY). By purchasing most of the items to make the décor now, I will have all winter to put things together. Likewise, my mom has been a huge help in planning things with me. I am so thankful for her because she has so many cool ideas for décor and the vision for the wedding as a whole.
While it’s fun picking out things I like and shopping for materials for centerpieces, I find that I can only look at or hear so many ideas before I get completely overwhelmed. At that point, I cannot comprehend any more ideas or think about anything wedding-related because I feel as though I'm on the verge of tears. In order to avoid this emotional disaster, I have to find my limit for the amount of ideas and tasks I do each day. To find that happy medium, I finally found a planner that works well with my lifestyle. As such, I am able to split up my wedding tasks by each day, helping me look at the bigger picture and lower my stress—hopefully this pattern will continue.
Also, I never thought I would be so nervous about two families coming together. Please, if you’re married, tell me I’m not alone in feeling like this! I can't pinpoint one sole reason for this fear... Maybe it’s because our families never truly met, or because they each have such different personalities? I don’t know... For some reason,though, I am terrified about this. I just want the wedding to be like a Hallmark card with everyone getting along. Part of myself knows, however, that life isn’t always like Hallmark cards and I can’t control every situation. Yet, I cannot help but be stressed.
Well, these are my feelings regarding the whole wedding planning process as of right now. I know some of this may sound a bit negative, but I hope you don’t read it as such. I am honestly so happy and excited about the whole thing, regardless of how stressed out I may get.
Are any of you currently planning weddings? If so, where are you in the process? Have any of you had these same feelings?

Here’s to stress-free planning!
Molly  
Credits//Author: Molly Adamczyk. Photography: Molly Adamczyk Copy Editor: Ashley Adamczyk

Comments

Post a Comment

  1. Wow- Best Wishes on your upcoming marriage; that's fantastic!

    Good thought on getting the planner. I found that breaking down my to-do list first by month and then week made it waaaay less stressful, as did delegating some of the work to the groom or others. Best advice I was given was to treat the wedding like a stage manager would (I've a theatre background, so maybe that just spoke to me, but this article explained it well: https://apracticalwedding.com/wedding-planner-tip/)

    As for the families.... I can totally see be nervous about it. Each person's experience is different, but what really helped is: A) remember, these people love you (and/or love the groom) and want the day to go well for you/him. They will work towards that. Everyone wants to have a good time at a wedding. B) Each family will also be busy with their own people. Weddings are mini-family reunions in a lot of cases. They may not spend much time talking politics with the in-laws because they are too busy catching up with Aunt Susie. But if it really worries you, maybe try to get them to meet before hand. You have the holidays coming up. Maybe host Thanksgiving, or a Christmas (or whatever holiday you do celebrate that takes place in the winter) and have both sets of parents/family come?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly my planner is my lifesaver! We're doing a pretty small wedding and a lot of it is DIY but it's made it so much easier to keep track of who to email, or what to buy when, or to keep a list of things we still need to do. Thanks for the link, it makes a lot of sense!

      And I know it's more me worrying about nothing than anything else but I have thought about having everyone meet beforehand. It's a good idea! I just know I'm overthinking it too much, so I just have to get over it myself lol. Thanks for your tips, I'm going to keep those in mind :)

      Delete

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove it)

Name

Email *

Message *

Latest on Instagram

Latest on Pinterest