My Fitness Journey


To say I’m athletic would be an overstatement. I was never the sporty type, never seriously exercised, and never cared to either. The thought of exercising sent a shiver down my spine. Plus, I’m also easily the most uncoordinated person you’ll ever meet. In fact, I pretty much broke my ankle by missing the last step on a staircase while I was taking Pepper out last year. So, in my mind, I could only wonder why anyone would ever want to spend their free time exercising. How could that be enjoyable?
In order for me to take exercising seriously, I knew I needed something to help hold myself accountable. So, I signed up for a gym membership because paying each month it helps force me to go, even on the days when I don’t really feel like it. Amazingly, working out is actually something I look forward to now, and I just feel good after I finish. Also, this new activity has been a great stress reliever for me because it helps me take a step back, forget about everything, and focus on me. Plus, it has also been a great way for Kody and me to spend some extra time together.
The reason I wanted to start working out was more for my own sake rather than anybody else’s thoughts. In fact, Kody and I both set the goal to be healthier. This is not necessarily about weight loss and not liking the way I look because I honestly feel happy where I am. Instead, I just want to get a bit more toned and more physically fit. If I lose some weight along the way, great, but that is not my main goal. In fact, I think that goal would drive me crazy and actually lower my odds of going to the gym. So, I am going to pay attention to how I feel rather than the numbers on the scale. Simply put, I want this journey to be a way to push myself in a way I didn’t think I could.
Working out with Kody has been a huge motivator for me. We cheer each other on and doing so has already brought us closer together because we both have a common goal. Plus, we’re able to “compete” a bit, which always drives me more. We both have just been feeling good about ourselves and, therefore, have been just happier overall. I feel like I’ve tried a handful of different ways to workout before. I’ve tried doing it solo and I’ve tried group classes, but the thing that works best for me is having someone to work out with with whom I feel comfortable and who pushes me to do my best.
I do not want to go into what my routine is mostly because we are always changing things up and I do not consider myself to be an expert on this at all. I pretty much let Kody lead and he shows me what to do he is much more knowledgeable than me on the subject. So, I appreciate having someone like him who actually knows what they’re doing, can explain what the benefits are, and who has the patience to show me the ropes and watch me to make sure I am doing things correctly so I’m actually benefiting from the work out.
So far, things have been going great and I just feel so good. When we leave the gym we always comment to each other how we feel. I am excited to keep up with this and to finally get a “fitness routine” going. One of the things I would always tell myself is that I don’t have time to work out, but that could not have been more of a lie: we have been going about four times a week for an hour and a half, and I still have time to do all the things I want to do. I feel so proud for pushing myself and sticking to this.
Here’s to getting healthy.
Molly

Credits//Author: Molly Adamczyk. Photography: Molly Adamczyk Copy Editor: Ashley Adamczyk  

Comments

Post a Comment

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove it)

Name

Email *

Message *

Latest on Instagram

Latest on Pinterest