Crazy Rich Asians Review



Crazy Rich Asians 

By: Kevin Kwan 

Released: June 11th, 2013

Pages: 527 

My Rating: 5/5


Goodreads Synopsis:

Crazy Rich Asians is the outrageously funny debut novel about three super-rich, pedigreed Chinese families and the gossip, backbiting, and scheming that occurs when the heir to one of the most massive fortunes in Asia brings home his ABC (American-born Chinese) girlfriend to the wedding of the season.

When Rachel Chu agrees to spend the summer in Singapore with her boyfriend, Nicholas Young, she envisions a humble family home, long drives to explore the island, and quality time with the man she might one day marry. What she doesn't know is that Nick's family home happens to look like a palace, that she'll ride in more private planes than cars, and that with one of Asia's most eligible bachelors on her arm, Rachel might as well have a target on her back. 

Initiated into a world of dynastic splendor beyond imagination, Rachel meets Astrid, the It Girl of Singapore society; Eddie, whose family practically lives in the pages of the HongKong socialite magazines; and Elenore, Nick's formidable mother, a women who has very strong feelings about who her son should-and should not--marry. Uproarious, addictive, and filled with jaw-dropping opulence, Crazy Rich Asians is the insider's look at the Asian Jetset; a perfect depiction of the clash between old money and new money; between Overseas Chinese and Mainland Chinese; and a fabulous novel about what it means to be young, in love, and gloriously crazily rich.

My Review:

OMG! I realize I am so late to the game on this one and I'm so mad at myself because of it. This is a marvelous novel. I am in no way crazy (though my family may disagree) or rich but I loved this book and all the characters in it (except Elenore, I loathed Elenore). 

I felt like I was wrapped up in Singapores Gossip Girl meets The Great Gatsby and it was a wonderful trip. This is a longer book than what I have been reading lately but I could not put this one down and finished it so quickly. In fact, within hours of finishing it I made an emergency trip to the bookstore to grab the next two in the series. It's that good! 

I also immediately watched the movie which I enjoyed but the book is better (when is it not?). If you are looking for a great distraction and want to be whisked away into a life of luxury this ones for you. I loved reading about all the exuberant, gaudy, breathtaking ways rich people live and also lived for all the drama surrounding Rachel and Nicks relationship. If you have not read this one yet and are late to the party like me, please do yourself a favor and pick this up immediately! It's too good to sit on. 

Catch you later, 

Molly 

Comments

Post a Comment

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove it)

Name

Email *

Message *

Latest on Instagram

Latest on Pinterest