Arsenic and Adobo Review


 Arsenic and Adobo 
By: Mia P. Manasala  
Released: May 4th, 2021 
Pages: 336
My Rating: 5/5 

Goodreads Synopsis: 
When Lila Macpagal moves back home to recover from a horrible breakup, her life seems to be following all the typical rom-com tropes. She's tasked with saving her Tita Rosie's failing restaurant, and she has to deal with a group of matchmaking aunties who shower her with love and judgement. But when a notoriously nasty food critic (who happens to be her ex-boyfriend) drops dead moments after a confrontation with Lila, her life quickly swerves from a Nora Ephron romp to an Agatha Christie case. 

With the cops treating her like she's the one and only suspect, and the shady landlord looking to finally kick the Macapagal family out and resell the storefront, Lila's left with no choice but to conduct her own investigation. Armed with the nosy auntie network, her barista best bud, and her trusted Dachshund, Loganisa, Lila takes on this tasty, twisted case and soon finds her neck on the chopping block...


 
My Review:
I do not know how Book of the Month does it, but they really do pick some of the best books! When I read the synopsis of Arsenic and Adobo I knew immediately that I had to have it. It sounded like such a fun mystery premise and like it could have some great humor in it too. I am happy to report that both of those things are true and this is a fantastic read! 

This has been my favorite cozy mystery in quite some time. It's laugh out loud funny, and overall, has a great story line. I loved getting to meet all of the characters in Shady Palms. The setting, Shady Palms, offered a great Midwest small town vibe and was the icing on the cake for me. I found the main character, Lila, to be the most relatable and every time she ran into something saying "ope" I knew this book was the one for me (my midwest friends get it). 

If you are looking for a fun beach read or just a great mystery that you will not want to put down until the end (and even then you don't want to have to put it down) don't hesitate before grabbing up Arsenic and Adobo. I genuinely hope this author adds more to this series because I would love to take another trip to Shady Palms soon.

Catch you later, 
Molly 

Comments

Post a Comment

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove it)

Name

Email *

Message *

Latest on Instagram

Latest on Pinterest