Last Tang Standing Review


 

Last Tang Standing 

By: Lauren Ho 
Released: June 9th, 2020  
Pages: 416
My Rating: 4/5 

Goodreads Synopsis: 
At thirty-three, Andrea Tang is living the dream: she has a successful career as a lawyer, a posh condo, and a clutch of fun-loving friends who are always in the know about Singapore's hottest clubs and restaurants. All she has to do is make partner at her law firm and she will have achieved everything she (and her mother) has ever worked for. So what if she's poised to be the unmarried member of her generation of the Tang clan? She doesn't need a man to feel fulfilled, no matter what meddling relatives have to say about it. 

But for a dutiful Chinese-Malaysian daughter, the weight of familial expectations is hard to ignore. And so are the men life keeps throwing in Andrea's path. Men like Suresh Aditparan, her annoyingly attractive rival for partner and the last man she should be spending time with, and Eric Dang, a wealthy entrepreneur whose vision for their future is more lavish than she could have imagined. With her workplace competition growing ever more intense, her friends brining drama of their own to her door, and her family scrutinizing her every romantic prospect, Andrea finds herself stretched to the breaking point. And she can't help but wonder: In the endless tug-of-war between pleasing others and pleasing herself, is there room for everyone to win?

 
My Review: 
I walked into this knowing that I was going to probably love it and was not wrong. The back of the book describes this as a Crazy Rich Asians Bridget Jones mashup and it does not disappoint. If you've been following me this year you know that the Crazy Rich Asians series has been one of my favorite reads of the year so I was thrilled to start this up. 

Andrea Tang is such a relatable character on her pursuit of happiness and it was so fun to follow her character development. This book gave me major Writers and Lovers vibes (another favorite of this year) and I was so there for it. I also really enjoyed how it was written in a "dear diary" perspective. In the end, I am happy with the way things played out - although I wish I had more (here's to hoping for a sequel!). I think this is the perfect summer read if you are in the market for one because it is both light and inspirational and has some great slow burn humor on single life/dating/being a millennial.  

If you want a book that is heavy on the character development and is about finding your path in life, this is a great book to pick up. It doesn't hurt that it is also hilariously written and will make you laugh out loud at multiple points. I'm excited to see if this author has anything else in the works because I would love to read more by her. What about you, have you read this one? What's your favorite character driven novel?

Catch you later,
Molly 

Comments

Post a Comment

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove it)

Name

Email *

Message *

Latest on Instagram

Latest on Pinterest