The Maidens Review


 

The Maidens 

By: Alex Michaelides
Released: June 15th, 2021  
Pages: 352
My Rating: 4/5 

Goodreads Synopsis: 
Edward Fosca is a murderer. Of this Mariana is certain But Fosca is untouchable. A handsome and charismatic Greek Tragedy professor at Cambridge University, Fosca is adored by staff and students alike - particularly by the members of a secret society of female students know as The Maidens. 

Mariana Andros is a brilliant but troubled group therapist who becomes fixates on The Maidens when one member, a friend of Mariana's niece Zoe, is found murdered in Cambridge. 

Mariana, who was once herself a student at the university, quickly suspects that behind the idyllic beauty of the spires and turrets, and beneath the ancient traditions, lies something sinister. And she becomes convinced that, despite his alibi, Edward Fosca is guilty of the murder. But why would the professor target one of his students? And why does he keep returning to the rites of Persephone, the maiden, and her journey to the underworld? 

When another body is found, Mariana's obsession with proving Fosca's guilt spirals out of control, threatening to destroy her credibility as well as her closest relationships. But Mariana is determined to stop this killer, even if it costs her everything - including her own life. 

 
My Review: 
Book of the Month you have done it again... I recently said I was looking for a good mystery/thriller because I have been feeling a tad disappointed in them as of late and boy, did The Maidens deliver! This was a quick, captivating read that allowed me to play detective for a few hours. 

I was genuinely astounded when the twist came in this one. As I was getting to the end I thought I had this whole book figured out and had found the clue linking who I thought the murderer was to the crimes, but no. I was wrong and had the wool pulled over my eyes! I could not believe it. I was shocked and you can see my reaction in my reading vlog of this book (shameless plug).

I feel like the only person in the bookstagram community who has not read The Silent Patient by this author and now I feel like I need to scoop it up. Have you read The Maidens? Did you guess the twist at the end? 

Catch you later,
Molly 

Comments

Post a Comment

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove it)

Name

Email *

Message *

Latest on Instagram

Latest on Pinterest