Yolk Review

 


Yolk 

By: Mary H.K. Choi
Released: March 2nd, 2021  
Pages: 400
My Rating: /5 

Goodreads Synopsis: 
Jayne Baek is barely getting by. She shuffles through fashion school, saddled with a deadbeat boyfriend, clout-chasing friends, and a wretched eating disorder that she's not fully read to confront. But that's New York City, right? At least she isn't in Texas anymore, and is finally living in a city that feels right for her. 

On the other hand, her sister June is dazzlingly rich with a high-flying finance job and a massive apartment. Unlike Jayne, June has never struggled a day in her life. Until she's diagnosed with uterine cancer.

Suddenly, these estranged sisters who have nothing in common are living together. Because sisterly obligations are kind of important when one of you is dying. 

My Review:
I have seen this all over the booktube and finally caved and purchased my own copy. The cover caught my eye every time I went into Barnes and Noble and it was a book I always debated getting but never pulled the trigger on. I did not know too much about it going in but knew it came highly regarded by so many people on Goodreads so I was excited to get my feet wet. 

This book started out feeling pretty angsty. I enjoyed it but it was not the impactful read that I heard so many people talk about. The beginning has some humorous moments to it but overall felt like a coming of age tale about someone currently down on their luck. I will say the sister element hit a lot sooner than I was expecting it to which I was glad to see because I felt like you got to know each character a bit better. 

I enjoyed this book throughout my entire reading of it, however, the last half really picked up pace for me and I did not want to stop reading until I finished. I grew very connected to both Jayne and June and really felt for both of them for separate reasons. I wanted Jayne to find her confidence and begin to better herself instead of just hurting herself. I wanted June to stop being so stubborn and not be afraid to show her feelings. 

If you want a impactful, powerful read that still has a fair amount of humor to it I would highly suggest Yolk. It covers heavier topics than I thought it would and makes you really think about not only yourself but your family. It covers family dynamics beautifully and is very relatable. I immediately went to Goodreads to find more books by this author because the way this was written makes me want a lot more.

Signing off, 
Molly 

Comments

Post a Comment

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove it)

Name

Email *

Message *

Latest on Instagram

Latest on Pinterest