Once There Were Wolves Review

 


Once There Were Wolves  

By: Charlotte McConaghy  
Released: August 3rd, 2021  
Pages: 272
My Rating: 5/5 

Goodreads Synopsis: 
Inti Flynn arrives in Scotland with her twin sister, Aggie, to lead a team of biologists tasked with reintroducing fourteen gray wolves into the remote Highlands. She hopes to heal not only the dying landscape, but Aggie, too, unmade by the terrible secrets that drove the sisters out of Alaska.  

Inti is not the women she once was, either, changed by the harm she's witnessed-inflicted by humans on both the wild and each other. Yet as the wolves surprise everyone by thriving, Inti begins to let her guard down, even opening herself up to the possibility of love. But when a farmer is found dead, Inti knows where the town will lay blame. Unable to accept her wolves could be responsible, Inti makes a reckless decision to protect them. But if the wolves didn't make the kill, then who did? And what will Inti do when the man she is falling for seems to be the prime suspect?

My Review:
Holy Cow. This book was such a wild ride. I have to admit, August was another month for me where none of the Book Of The Month choices seemed all that interesting. I chose this one on a whim and when I started it, was not sure about it. I found it to be a tad boring at first and was questioning my choice for the month, until I hit the 100 page mark. At first it seems like this novel is only about rehoming wolves and a oped take on how humans are ruining nature, but do not be fooled. 

Once I hit that 100 page milestone things picked up, fast! This novel, while short, packs a major punch and hits you in all the feels. It leads you down so many "what if" paths that it's hard to tell what characters are actually telling the truth. There were numerous times I found myself questioning the narrator, afraid to be led astray. Each character plays such a vital role in this novel and each has a distinct purpose for you to learn. I have not read something this well done in some time. It is so freaking good! 

If you have read and enjoyed, Eileen by , I do believe you would love this book also. I found myself constantly drawing comparisons between the two while reading this one. Honestly, I could easily see this being a front runner for the book of the year with BOTM. Did you choose this book in August? What did you think of it?  

Signing off, 
Molly 

Comments

Post a Comment

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove it)

Name

Email *

Message *

Latest on Instagram

Latest on Pinterest