White Smoke Review


 

White Smoke

By: Tiffany D. Jackson
Released: September 14th, 2021 
Pages: 384
My Rating: 5/5 

Goodreads Synopsis: 
Marigold is running from ghosts. The phantoms of her old life keep haunting her, but a move with her newly blended family from their small California beach town to the embattled Midwestern city of Cedarville might be the fresh start she needs. Her mom has accepted a new job with the Sterling Foundation that comes with a free house, one that Mari now has to share with her bratty-ten-year-old stepsister, Piper.

The renovated picture-perfect home on Maple Street, sitting between dilapidated houses, surrounded by wary neighbors has its... secrets. That's only half the problem: household items vanish, doors open on their own, lights turn off, shadows walk past rooms, voices can be heard in the walls, and there's a foul smell seeping through the vents only Mari seems to notice. Worse: Piper keeps talking about a friend who wants Mari gone. 

But "running from ghosts" is just a metaphor, right?

As the house closes in, Mari learns that the danger isn't limited to Maple Street. Cedarville has its secrets, too. And secrets always find their way through the cracks. 

My Review:
Oh. My. Gosh. This book is so freaking good! I found this book through booktube and thought it sounded interesting but had no idea that it was going to become one of my favorite books of 2021. I was not sure how scary this book would get, being that it is YA, but let me tell you, there are so many spooky parts to this book that made it eerie to read in the dark. I did not want to put this book down at all. I was so invested in this story and finished it in one day!

I absolutely loved all the characters in this book. I thought that Tiffany Jackson did a amazing job creating everyone and exploring so many aspects of each of them. Mari is one of my favorite characters of all time. I loved seeing her dynamic with the other characters, especially her brother, Sammy, and her mother. The other thing I really enjoyed is that this book has a lot of deeper meanings to it. It's a book that you finish and have to think about everything you just read because some of it hits so close to home. There is just not one negative thing that I have to say about this book - I loved it so much.  

I cannot believe that this is Tiffany Jacksons first horror novel. I need more from her! I am hoping there is a sequel to this one because it definitely left the possibility open and I would just love to see these characters again. So, please, do yourself a favor and pick this up!
 
Signing off, 
Molly 

Comments

Post a Comment

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove it)

Name

Email *

Message *

Latest on Instagram

Latest on Pinterest