Fault Lines Review

 


Fault Lines 

By: Emily Itami
Released: September 7th, 2021
Pages: 224
My Rating: 4/5 

Goodreads Synopsis: 
Mizuki is a Japanese housewife. She has a hardworking husband, two adorable children, and a beautiful Tokyo apartment. It's everything a women could want, yet sometimes she wonders whether she would rather throw herself off the high-rise balcony than spend another evening not talking to her husband hanging up laundry. 

Then, one rainy night, she meets Kiyoshi, a successful restaurateur. In him, she rediscovers freedom, friendship, and the neon, electric pulse of the city she has always loved. But the further she falls into their relationship, the clearer it becomes that she is living two lives - and in the end, we can choose only one.

Fun, provocative, and startlingly honest, Fault Lines is for anyone who has ever looked in the mirror and asked, who am I and how did I get here? A bittersweet love story and a piercing portrait of female identity, it introduces Emily Itami as a debut novelist with astounding resonance and wit. 

My Review:
Listen, I enjoy angsty things just like everyone else. Okay, maybe more than some, but you get the gist. When I started Fault Lines I did not know it was going to give me the right amount of angsty vibes that I was wanting at the moment but it delivered in a big way. I am very surprised I have not seen this book more on bookstagram/booktube. I found this because it was on a special display at my local Barnes and Noble and the cover drew me in. I am thrilled to report that the story inside is equally as alluring. 

For a debut novel this is amazing. I related to the main character in more ways than I thought I would, especially her temper. I found myself laughing out loud, getting upset, and really empathizing with the main character, Mizuki. She is so relatable and I enjoyed following her on this journey of finding what she wants from life. It's something I'm sure we have all asked ourselves at some point in time. This is a raw take on someone struggling to find what is worth it and what is not and I could not put this book down until I knew what happened. 

This is a very short book and a quick read. I honestly believe that most anyone would enjoy this book as it is so relatable in some unexpected ways. If you are looking for a bit of a deeper read and a look at someone trying to figure life out this one is for you! 
 
Signing off, 
Molly 

Comments

Post a Comment

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove it)

Name

Email *

Message *

Latest on Instagram

Latest on Pinterest