The Push Review


 

The Push 
By: Ashley Audrain 
Released: January 5th, 2021
Pages: 307
My Rating: 4/5 

Goodreads Synopsis: 
Blythe Connor is determined that she will be the warm, comforting mother to her new baby Violet that she herself never had. 

But in the thick of motherhood's exhausting early days, Blythe becomes convinced that something is wrong with her daughter - she doesn't behave like most children do. 

Or is it all in Blythe's head? Her husband, Fox, says she's imaging things. The more Fox dismisses her fears, the more Blythe begins to question her own sanity, and the more we begin to question what Blythe is telling us about her life as well. 

The their son Sam is born - and with him, Blythe has the blissful connection she'd always imagined with her child. Even Violet seems to love her little brother. But when life as they know it is changed in an instant, the devastating fall -out forces Blythe to face the truth. 

The Push is a tour de force you will read in a sitting, an utterly immersive novel that will challenge everything you think you know about motherhood, about what we owe our children, and what it feels like when women are not believed.


My Review:
Whoa, this book was just wow. The Push is a quick, gripping, unsettling read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It gave me major The Omen/Orphan vibes and I was there for it. I picked this book up through my Book of the Month subscription because I had just finished reading China Rich Girlfriend (second book of the Crazy Rich Asians series) and before diving into the next book there I wanted a change of pace and was feeling more of a thriller, so here we are. 

This book was haunting and sent a chill right down my spine. I found it a fascinating way to look at multiple generations, especially ones that do not have the happiest moments. The Push took me on a trip I was not prepared for. I found myself questioning what I thought was real and what was not every flip of the page. I found myself getting into Blythe's head and just when I thought she wanted me to feel one way I would immediately be swayed the other. I've never experienced such a psychological trip when reading a book before.  

I enjoyed all the looks into the past from Blythe, her mother, and her mothers mother. I think it was done exceptionally well and really kept me engaged and hoping that at some point it would get better for someone. I was looking for a good dark and scary read and this delivered just that. I found the ending to be just great, in fact maybe too great because it left me feeling so unsettled. If you are looking for a book that will keep you up at night, this is your book.

Catch you later, 
Molly 

Comments

Post a Comment

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove it)

Name

Email *

Message *

Latest on Instagram

Latest on Pinterest